Friday, February 27, 2009

Wild Magic book review

Wild magic book review
February 6, 2009
Genevieve H Christensen

What if you could talk to animals? What if they crawled into your bed with you at night? I would love it and hate it, but Daine just loves it. Daine loves animals, no matter if they are marmots or snakes, grizzly bears or sparrows. In fact, it’s almost as if she has a sort of magic that connects them to her.
The first time we meet Daine in the book, she is at a fair. There, she meets a stubborn woman named Onua, who hires her on to help bring ponies more stubborn and obstinate than she to the capital of Tortall. On their way they have a run-in with monsters, the King’s Champion, and a strange hawk that is not like any animal Daine has ever dealt with. They meet nobles who talk to commoners, animals who talk to humans, and girls who don’t always wear dresses.
I liked this book. I could understand how Daine felt, and why she likes animals so much. My favorite part is either when the badger climbs into her sleeping roll, or when she meets the queen. I wouldn’t change anything about the book even if I could.
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants to read it. It’s easy, and I read it in three hours or so. Anyone from sixth grade and up could read this, and people who like animals will especially enjoy Wild Magic. It has about 362 pages, but large print.
Wild Magic is the first in The Immortals quartet. The author, Tamora Pierce, has written three other quartets. It is published by Simon and Schuster, copyright in 1992, New York. My copy has a map of the land Daine travels in, and the first chapter of the second book (Wolf Speaker). I bought my book at Borders for around seven dollars. You could probably purchase it at Barnes and Noble, or any other large bookstore. The ISBN number is 978-1-4169-0343-7. This book is a pleasant diversion, and, again, I would recommend it to anyone who wants to read it.

--GC

No comments:

Post a Comment