Thursday, February 26, 2009

Hatchet

How would you survive in the wilderness alone? All you have is a hatchet. The main character Brian Robeson is only thirteen-years old. The book is called Hatchet, and it is by Gary Paulsen who became very well known for this book. He is one of America's most popular writers for young people.

Brian is going to the Canadian north woods to visit his father. In the plane, the pilot seems to express his pain a lot. Soon just as we anticipated, the pilot dies and the plane crashes. Brian gets stranded in a wilderness by himself. Through all the hard times and troubles he learns how to make fire, how to recover from his injuries, hunt and other things. It is just amazing how a thirteen year old boy can do all these things that most of us don't even know anything about.

I really liked the character Brian. After all the devastating and hopeless events, he still tried to survive. If I was him, I would just choose to die. In this book, the author described the situations very realistically, and they are simply harsh with painful incidents. I am very proud of this boy.

As you can tell, I loved the book. Right after I read, I wanted to read it again! I hated when all the tragic things happened to him. I got very anxious. But when Brian figured out the ways to recover or make it work again, I was so happy and proud of him that I squealed! It was very touching.

I would recommend this book to almost everyone. Especially the ones who love intense adventure stories! I am sure that this will be in your favorite list of books. Also because this book is very popular, almost everyone has read it. If you didn't read it, you will feel left out. That is one of the reason for you to read the book.

Additional information: Hatchet-Gary Paulson. You can find this book at almost every library. Scholastic, printed in April 2007. 194 pages, average under $10.

Alice Choi

No comments:

Post a Comment