Friday, February 27, 2009

Fly on the Wall

Fly on the Wall
Monday, February 9, 2009
Genevieve Christensen

Many-faceted eyes watch me from the windowsill
One insect mind gauges how dangerous I am
Two little feet rub against each other
Two gauzy wings rest against a black, hairy abdomen

Eight beady eyes watch the watcher
Eight furry legs get ready to move
One silk spinneret starts to activate
Two fangs begin to glisten with poison

I, one teenage girl,
Am not sure whether I am disturbed or pleased
While I look on as one creature gains energy
Another loses life

I am one with the
Fly on the wall
Knowing with terrible certainty
That she will die
Squirming madly
In a vain attempt to escape
Feeling venom run through her veins

I know the
Spider’s feelings
Satisfied at the speed with which it acted
Triumphant about the kill
Sinking her fangs into the flesh of prey
Not relinquishing the power of death
Over this poor little fly

Effectively, I have been a fly on the wall,
Observing with clarity this exchange

--GC

No comments:

Post a Comment